A couple of things that I remember from this massacre. Elements of the so called "peoples army" were called in from remote provinces to crush the protest. They didn't know what they were crushing. As they fired into the unarmed crowd, sections of the crowd responded by singing The Internationale, the communist anthem. Notice that many of the protesters are carrying red flags. Mao warned that this sort of thing could happen before he died in 1976, if his supporters (the "Gang of Four") were defeated. I can dig up the quotes.
It's good to point out how ruthlessly the Chinese government is still editing this massacre. Nevertheless, our western press also edits our memory of what really happened, albeit more subtly.
It wouldn't do to be too critical of a government on which we now apparently depend for saving capitalist economies from total collapse.
House Cleaning My January 1, 2018 Predictions
-
Quick Summary: I am going to continue to do my yearly update on three sets
of technologies every January 1st. I am going to decouple them from my
predictio...
America’s War on an Independent World
-
How the United States is using oil, technology, transportation and the
dollar system to rebuild its declining global power.
The post %%post_title%% first ...
Nate Silver discovers the educated poor
-
My son Daniel points me to a piece by Nate Silver which announces the
discovery that highly educated workers with low or precarious income are
the natural ...
Our Likely Future Filter: World Govt
-
The great filter (a term I coined) is all the things that block simple dead
matter from evolving into an advanced civilization easily seen from far
away.
The three cornered container
-
In reply to The three cornered container by Chris Corrigan What stands out
to me reading this, is that I feel I have an intrinsic preference for the
emerge...
Jordan Triples and the Standard Model
-
I don’t usually talk about particle physics here. I have a whole series of
articles about octonions and the Standard Model on my other blog. But I’m
kind o...
China’s is bigger: Don’t tell Trump
-
from Dean Baker Don’t worry folks, we’re keeping our PG rating here. I’m
talking about GDP. I had some people question my line in
yesterday’s post that Chi...
NISQ and quantum supremacy did not fail
-
A week ago, a philosopher named Amit Hagar put out a preprint entitled The
NISQ Trap: Eight Years of Demonstrations the Hardware was Built to Lose.
Here’s ...
All Watched Over
-
I’ve recently been rereading Steven Levy’s “Hackers” with my daughter. Levy
describes how Brautigan’s 1967 poem “All watched over by machines of loving
gra...
CSTA 2026: CS teaching 2.0
-
[image: Rows of teachers interlined by arms, standing, facing stage, .]We
all hold hands at the Tuesday plenary.
Over my many years of traveling to confere...
The Ghosts of Antonio Gramsci
-
Andy Merrifield’s Roses for Gramsci, a highly personal history of the
Italian thinker and his work, examines his influence across generations.
Book Review ...
CHINA AND THE LEFT – forum transcript
-
On September 25, 2025, the Platypus Affiliated Society chapter at the
Australian National University hosted a public forum on China and The Left.
The speak...
Generative AI with tool calling in Scratch
-
In this post, I want to share a new feature in the generative AI support in
Machine Learning for Kids: tool calling. I wrote last year about how I
introduc...
Climate Etc. is now an archive
-
Climate Etc. closed in June 2026 and this site is preserved as a read-only
archive. This feed will not update again -- visit the homepage for where to
find...
In Defense of the Marginal Baby
-
This Father’s Day, I took some notes on parenting and put them together
here. The purpose of this post is to strongly advocate for people to
increment thei...
Retracing steps
-
This is sort of a follow-up to the My journey series. In that, I talked
about learning programming on 8-bit computers, and progressing onto much
more power...
Spring 2026 PCAS Update: Recruiting a new Lecturer
-
My last update on the University of Michigan’s Program in Computing for the
Arts and Sciences (PCAS) was in March 2024 (see post here). I did give some
upd...
Some thoughts about Bondi
-
Why did it happen? I think that the combination of four factors (listed
below) was close to a sufficient cause. Sufficient at least to make a
terrorist att...
No comments:
Post a Comment