Hi Bill, Have been exploring ideas on the Berkman Center site - after being totally captured by Jamie Boyle's thinking - There is a research fellow Ethan Zuckerman whose interests seem so similar to yours - even down to providing support for anonymous bloggers. If you haven't heard of him try My Hearts in Accra
I checked out the Berkman site and Jamie Boyle as well as Ethan Zuckerman. Recognised a few names there : Lawrence Lessig, John Perry Barlow (Grateful Dead), Dan Gillmor, Lewis Hyde, Doc Searls, Jimmy Wales, David Weinberger
Nice statement by Jamie Boyle in his second enclosure article : "We are in the middle of a second enclosure movement. It sounds grandiloquent to call it “the enclosure of the intangible commons of the mind,” but in a very real sense that is just what it is..."
Their Mission statement explains a lot, with its emphasis on learning about cyberspace by building for themselves in cyberspace.
The Berkman Center's mission is to explore and understand cyberspace, its development, dynamics, norms, standards, and need or lack thereof for laws and sanctions.
We are a research center, premised on the observation that what we seek to learn is not already recorded. Our method is to build out into cyberspace, record data as we go, self-study, and publish. Our mode is entrepreneurial nonprofit.
It would be nice to have a government school with a mission statement like that. Why not? You would easily get the teachers, parents and students. The only real barrier is the government.
The three cornered container
-
In reply to The three cornered container by Chris Corrigan What stands out
to me reading this, is that I feel I have an intrinsic preference for the
emerge...
AI #178: A Fire Alarm For General Intelligence
-
The story that matters most this week is that OpenAI’s internally deployed
models have severe alignment problems, including repeatedly breaking out of
thei...
The gang’s still here!
-
My degree of anxiety about the new ducklings decreases asymptotically as
they age. The first week I get nervous, for they are at their most
vulnerable, but...
Jordan Triples and the Standard Model
-
I don’t usually talk about particle physics here. I have a whole series of
articles about octonions and the Standard Model on my other blog. But I’m
kind o...
First-Person Identity Theft Story
-
Harrowing story of an identity theft victim.
Yes, the person made a mistake—they gave the scammer a two-factor
authentication code that allowed the scamm...
China’s is bigger: Don’t tell Trump
-
from Dean Baker Don’t worry folks, we’re keeping our PG rating here. I’m
talking about GDP. I had some people question my line in
yesterday’s post that Chi...
The K-Shaped Collapse of the US Economy
-
Michael Hudson and Radhika Desai explain how Trump’s MAGA economy rests on
war, debt, asset bubbles and a shrinking real economy.
The post %%post_title%% ...
NISQ and quantum supremacy did not fail
-
A week ago, a philosopher named Amit Hagar put out a preprint entitled The
NISQ Trap: Eight Years of Demonstrations the Hardware was Built to Lose.
Here’s ...
The dispensable nation – updated
-
As I observed last year, the statement that “The cemeteries are full of
indispensable people.” is just as true of nations, and in particular the
US. That w...
All Watched Over
-
I’ve recently been rereading Steven Levy’s “Hackers” with my daughter. Levy
describes how Brautigan’s 1967 poem “All watched over by machines of loving
gra...
CSTA 2026: CS teaching 2.0
-
[image: Rows of teachers interlined by arms, standing, facing stage, .]We
all hold hands at the Tuesday plenary.
Over my many years of traveling to confere...
The Ghosts of Antonio Gramsci
-
Andy Merrifield’s Roses for Gramsci, a highly personal history of the
Italian thinker and his work, examines his influence across generations.
Book Review ...
CHINA AND THE LEFT – forum transcript
-
On September 25, 2025, the Platypus Affiliated Society chapter at the
Australian National University hosted a public forum on China and The Left.
The speak...
Stratospheric Radiative Cooling from CO₂
-
The stratosphere has been cooling over recent decades as atmospheric CO₂
has risen. This occurs because CO₂ in the cold, thin air of the
stratosphere bec...
Generative AI with tool calling in Scratch
-
In this post, I want to share a new feature in the generative AI support in
Machine Learning for Kids: tool calling. I wrote last year about how I
introduc...
Climate Etc. is now an archive
-
Climate Etc. closed in June 2026 and this site is preserved as a read-only
archive. This feed will not update again -- visit the homepage for where to
find...
In Defense of the Marginal Baby
-
This Father’s Day, I took some notes on parenting and put them together
here. The purpose of this post is to strongly advocate for people to
increment thei...
Retracing steps
-
This is sort of a follow-up to the My journey series. In that, I talked
about learning programming on 8-bit computers, and progressing onto much
more power...
Spring 2026 PCAS Update: Recruiting a new Lecturer
-
My last update on the University of Michigan’s Program in Computing for the
Arts and Sciences (PCAS) was in March 2024 (see post here). I did give some
upd...
Predictions Scorecard, 2026 January 01
-
Nothing is ever as good as it first seems and nothing is ever as bad as it
first seems. — A best memory paraphrase of advice given to me by Vice
Admiral Jo...
Some thoughts about Bondi
-
Why did it happen? I think that the combination of four factors (listed
below) was close to a sufficient cause. Sufficient at least to make a
terrorist att...
2 comments:
Hi Bill,
Have been exploring ideas on the Berkman Center site - after being totally captured by Jamie Boyle's thinking - There is a research fellow Ethan Zuckerman whose interests seem so similar to yours - even down to providing support for anonymous bloggers. If you haven't heard of him try My Hearts in Accra
thnx arti, yes, some great material about Africa there from Ethan Z, which I will follow up on.
I checked out the Berkman site and Jamie Boyle as well as Ethan Zuckerman. Recognised a few names there : Lawrence Lessig, John Perry Barlow (Grateful Dead), Dan Gillmor, Lewis Hyde, Doc Searls, Jimmy Wales, David Weinberger
Nice statement by Jamie Boyle in his second enclosure article : "We are in the middle of a second enclosure movement. It sounds grandiloquent to call it “the enclosure of the intangible commons of the mind,” but in a very real sense that is just what it is..."
Their Mission statement explains a lot, with its emphasis on learning about cyberspace by building for themselves in cyberspace.
The Berkman Center's mission is to explore and understand cyberspace, its development, dynamics, norms, standards, and need or lack thereof for laws and sanctions.
We are a research center, premised on the observation that what we seek to learn is not already recorded. Our method is to build out into cyberspace, record data as we go, self-study, and publish. Our mode is entrepreneurial nonprofit.
It would be nice to have a government school with a mission statement like that. Why not? You would easily get the teachers, parents and students. The only real barrier is the government.
Post a Comment