We're Living in a Tragicomic Parody
-
*It's hard to take a joke when our entire economy and financial system is
the joke. *
*We're blessed/cursed to be living in a very peculiar era in which p...
NOW Page Update
-
Service announcement: I have updated my NOW page. A Now page contains the
general activities I’m spending time on these days. It contains the things
I’d me...
Nature extols Jason Arday
-
I thought I was through writing about Jason Arday, but I didn’t anticipate
that he would become some kind of hero, or at least that many people would
empha...
Taylor Swift: the good billionaire?
-
I wrote this post a couple of weeks ago, responding to a challenge* to
write about the economic aspects of Taylor Swift. Not long after that, the
world los...
The History of Economics?
-
from Peter Radford “Adam Smith said a bunch of stuff that was mostly
right. Marx said a bunch of stuff that was wrong. Keynes fixed some
things up, messe...
LLMs and self-referentiality
-
I woke up yesterday with the following thoughts, which are probably either
obvious or dumb. A central thesis that many readers, including me, took
from Dou...
Stonehenge I Moon Circle and ECDO Theory
-
Our speculation in this article, particularly as it pertains to Structure 5
of the earliest rendition of Stonehenge — a moon circle, rather than a sun
circ...
The Debt System That Ate The West
-
The West’s debt system is no longer financing growth. Creditor power is
displacing industry, democracy, and public investment.
The post %%post_title%% fir...
Steve Jobs in Exile
-
We all know the Steve Jobs who came back in the late 1990s and saved Apple
from becoming a footnote. And we’ve all heard the story of how, in 1985, he
wa...
Math after AI
-
For a very long time, my favorite activity was to sit and think about
mathematical questions. Staring at a blank sheet of paper, trying to grasp
in my mind...
The Mantle
-
As we descend from the base of Earth’s crust through the mantle, the rock
does not remain unchanged. Pressure and temperature rise inexorably, and
the mine...
A week of fika: ACM ICER 2026
-
A peaceful Wednesday night by the water.
By the end of this academic year, I needed a vacation. It was a year of
major disruptions to my federal research f...
Climate Etc. is now an archive
-
Climate Etc. closed in June 2026 and this site is preserved as a read-only
archive. This feed will not update again -- visit the homepage for where to
find...
In Defense of the Marginal Baby
-
This Father’s Day, I took some notes on parenting and put them together
here. The purpose of this post is to strongly advocate for people to
increment thei...
Retracing steps
-
This is sort of a follow-up to the My journey series. In that, I talked
about learning programming on 8-bit computers, and progressing onto much
more power...
Spring 2026 PCAS Update: Recruiting a new Lecturer
-
My last update on the University of Michigan’s Program in Computing for the
Arts and Sciences (PCAS) was in March 2024 (see post here). I did give some
upd...
Some thoughts about Bondi
-
Why did it happen? I think that the combination of four factors (listed
below) was close to a sufficient cause. Sufficient at least to make a
terrorist att...
No comments:
Post a Comment