I think the graph is accurate though I got a bit suspicious since it's comparing the Dow of 1929-'32 with the S&P 500 since then. Why not compare the Dow all the way along? It would show the same thing I think.
The graph does not give a full picture of economic crises. I noticed that the graph does not include the economic downturn from 1977-1984, but this is because the market only went down about 20% from 1977-1980. The market trended upward after that, but the way in which this period was significant was in unemployment, which trended upward starting in 1979, and peaked at 10.8% in 1982. This was the highest it had gotten to since the Great Depression. The highest the unemployment rate got to between 1973-'76 was about 9%.
Where we are now in the unemployment rate, 7.6%, is the same as the peak unemployment rate in 1992. Like the period from 1980-84, from 1990-'92 unemployment rose as the market went up.
We anticipate unemployment is going to get worse as the year progresses. This downturn is like the tech crash of 2000, in that unemployment is rising while the market goes down, though the unemployment rate was relatively mild from 2001-'03, reaching a peak of 6.3%. I can tell you it felt a lot worse than that in the field of work I'm in. It was a "tech depression" as far as we were concerned.
Bret Stephens on Mamdani
-
If you’ve kept track of NYT Mayor Zohran Mamdani since he was elected less
than a year ago, it’s not hard to conclude that, though he pretends to
dislike b...
Testing Embedding Models For Related Blogposts
-
I mentioned wanting to automatically add related blogposts based on
comparing embeddings. When Dries Buytaert blogged about it, I wanted to
follow his exam...
Friday Squid Blogging: I Caught a Squid
-
On Wednesday I spent a day fishing, on a small boat out of Gloucester, MA.
We caught many cod (none of which we could keep), and a bunch of hake and
mack...
Rubio’s amazing speech at Athens
-
I’ve been absent from Patreon for a few days because I’ve been in a
creative fury writing about what has made the West “Western.” From Athens
through Rom...
Moralized Trends Are Often Extended
-
Compared to the ancients, we moderns less moralize our personal lives, but
more moralize the bigger world around us.
Ryan Serhant: How to Get People to Say Yes
-
Ryan Serhant is a real estate broker, founder of SERHANT., and star of
Bravo’s Million Dollar Listing New York and Netflix’s Owning Manhattan.
Public Rel...
The Mathocalypse
-
Last night my 9-year-old son was taunting my wife, complexity theorist Dana
Moshkovitz, as follows: “mommy, I heard you got cooked! I heard that a
robot so...
The market will crash if Trump steals the election:
-
from Dean Baker All the political experts are telling us that the
Republicans face a shellacking in November. The Democrats seem virtually
certain to win t...
What's the Point of AI, Anyway?
-
*The point of AI is profit, dependence and dominance cloaked with Happy
Story Hoopla about super-abundance. We have a super-abundance already--of
malicious...
How deep is Tulainyo Lake?
-
Regular readers may recall that I put a visit to Tulainyo Lake on my bucket
list a few years ago. Last week I did it. Impossibly remote, otherworldly
beaut...
Flawed premises in AI doomerism
-
[image: A stack of wavy lines, some more angular waves, a vertical barrier,
lots of pastel ellipses, and a brown ground, with a mechanical flower in
the mi...
Trump Is Definitely Considering Nuking Iran
-
Source: Hotpot.aiTrump is in a tight spot with the Iran war and needs to
find a way out before the midterms. A tactical nuclear strike on Iran's
nuclear ...
Climate Etc. is now an archive
-
Climate Etc. closed in June 2026 and this site is preserved as a read-only
archive. This feed will not update again -- visit the homepage for where to
find...
Spring 2026 PCAS Update: Recruiting a new Lecturer
-
My last update on the University of Michigan’s Program in Computing for the
Arts and Sciences (PCAS) was in March 2024 (see post here). I did give some
upd...
Some thoughts about Bondi
-
Why did it happen? I think that the combination of four factors (listed
below) was close to a sufficient cause. Sufficient at least to make a
terrorist att...
1 comment:
I think the graph is accurate though I got a bit suspicious since it's comparing the Dow of 1929-'32 with the S&P 500 since then. Why not compare the Dow all the way along? It would show the same thing I think.
The graph does not give a full picture of economic crises. I noticed that the graph does not include the economic downturn from 1977-1984, but this is because the market only went down about 20% from 1977-1980. The market trended upward after that, but the way in which this period was significant was in unemployment, which trended upward starting in 1979, and peaked at 10.8% in 1982. This was the highest it had gotten to since the Great Depression. The highest the unemployment rate got to between 1973-'76 was about 9%.
Where we are now in the unemployment rate, 7.6%, is the same as the peak unemployment rate in 1992. Like the period from 1980-84, from 1990-'92 unemployment rose as the market went up.
We anticipate unemployment is going to get worse as the year progresses. This downturn is like the tech crash of 2000, in that unemployment is rising while the market goes down, though the unemployment rate was relatively mild from 2001-'03, reaching a peak of 6.3%. I can tell you it felt a lot worse than that in the field of work I'm in. It was a "tech depression" as far as we were concerned.
Post a Comment