How to convert text book word problems which spoon feed too much into problems that students will have a conversation about and go onto solve with slower but deeper thinking. Even better, Dan is an entertaining presenter who combines humour with socially important knowledge and modern technology.
The Bubble Beneath the Empire
-
Michael Hudson and Steve Keen explain how financialisation, oil shocks and
rising debt could turn inflation into a global debt-deflation crisis.
The post ...
Michael Rabin Memorial Conference
-
As part of Mind-IL.- Israel’s Science and Academia Week (which also is
around the Israeli election) there would be a special conference in honor
of Michael...
Barack Obama, Larry David, and the tan suit
-
This comedy video, starring Barack Obama and Larry David, shows that the
ex-President is a natural actor and comedian. (I’ve added a Facebook post
below th...
The Economics of Swifties
-
Yesterday, on my Substack Newsletter, I ran my first gimmick promotion for
the Brisbane to Gold Coast Ride against Cancer [1]. I invited anyone who
donated...
Last Flickr Embeds Finally Removed
-
I today replaced the last handful of embedded Flickr images with self
hosted copies, that merely link back to the source at Flickr. This way I am
certain t...
Michael Rabin memorial conference
-
Friend-of-the-blog (well, mainly just friend) Adi Akavia has asked me to
publicize that she’s helping to organize an exciting CS conference called
Mind-IL ...
No-New-Physics Consciousness
-
There is a vast literature near the topic of this post, much of which has
developed specialized vocabularies and concepts.
A week of fika: ACM ICER 2026
-
A peaceful Wednesday night by the water.
By the end of this academic year, I needed a vacation. It was a year of
major disruptions to my federal research f...
Cherry-picking economic models
-
from Lars Syll How would you react if a renowned physicist, say, Richard
Feynman, were telling you that sometimes force is proportional to
acceleration and...
Three Generations in E7
-
It’s long been a mystery why there are 3 generations of quarks and leptons:
three sets of particles, apparently identical except for how they interact
with...
Why we can’t have nice things
-
Looking at the server request logs for Machine Learning for Kids is a
depressing reminder of what it means to run something on the Internet
nowadays. I was...
ECDO Theory Interactive Globe
-
An interactive globe showing the basic key features involved in the
Inertial Interchange True Polar Wander (IITPW) proposed by ECDO Theory.
A Pentridge memoir: a political prisoner’s story
-
Please indulge me in this promotion of my new book ‘A Pentridge memoir: a
political prisoner’s story’. A few readers might be interested and, as the
book i...
Climate Etc. is now an archive
-
Climate Etc. closed in June 2026 and this site is preserved as a read-only
archive. This feed will not update again -- visit the homepage for where to
find...
In Defense of the Marginal Baby
-
This Father’s Day, I took some notes on parenting and put them together
here. The purpose of this post is to strongly advocate for people to
increment thei...
Retracing steps
-
This is sort of a follow-up to the My journey series. In that, I talked
about learning programming on 8-bit computers, and progressing onto much
more power...
Spring 2026 PCAS Update: Recruiting a new Lecturer
-
My last update on the University of Michigan’s Program in Computing for the
Arts and Sciences (PCAS) was in March 2024 (see post here). I did give some
upd...
Some thoughts about Bondi
-
Why did it happen? I think that the combination of four factors (listed
below) was close to a sufficient cause. Sufficient at least to make a
terrorist att...
No comments:
Post a Comment