Friday, January 15, 2021

scratch course upgrade

I'm sticking with the story theme which is certainly possible even for introductory projects.

Art has more of a place! I've noticed that quite a few students spend a lot of time tweaking the looks of their sprites and backgrounds. So, here and there, I've encouraged that. Although, overall, I'm far more focused on the coding I am keen to encourage the artistic flair as well.

I’ve upgraded use of the music extension tools, showing how to make your own music. In the past I just used random, which I now see as a copout. I’m also trying to get them to tinker more, not just copy what I have done. Of course, that will have to be reinforced more in class.

Weird animals: The cat barks and the dog meows. Rearrange some body parts too.

Speak: The cat changes into a horse. This introduces the text to speech extension. There is a little action before and after.

Rooster wakes up Frank: Shows how to send a message from one sprite to another to co-ordinate the action

Cat glides to mouse: To show how the glide block works in an interesting way. This time I plan to quiz the students more to check their understanding of Cartesian co-ordinates

Teleport: How to switch backdrops and code the stage

Interactive whirl: Painful things happen to the squirrel when you move the mouse. I have introduced a 2 colour gradient background so more students will utilise that feature in their own projects later

Dance then add a sound: Dance character, code the stage and add your own voice

Ten blocks challenge: Time for students to have a go at creating their own stuff, using these ten blocks: go to, glide, say, show, hide, set size to, play sound until done, when this sprite clicked, wait, repeat

Create a project using only these 10 blocks. Use them once, twice, or multiple times, but use each block at least once

Two player maze game: Coding the arrow and WSAD keys to setup a game.

Scribble 1: Use the pen extension to create some random scribble

Scribble 2: Remix a more elaborate scribble program made by the teacher. Students are then invited to tinker with the background gradient, colour range, pen size range, lengths of lines and background music (stage code)

Twinkle Star: I show them the codes to make a nursery rhyme and then add an animation to illustrate

Previous course: introductory scratch projects with a story theme

No comments: